Saturday, August 1, 2009

Straight from Facebook ... The 15 Books

I like to think of myself as a discerning person ... someone who likes to reflect on life and its meaning, has intelligent conversations, and avoids inane TV shows. Really, though, the truth is that (while I don't watch TV) I have an unconquerable fondness for really fluffy books with no philosophical dimension whatever ... and I am a compulsive Facebook quizzer. If you tag me in a note, I will gladly reveal with my three greatest fears, describe my life according to my iPod, and tell you which Mr. Darcy I think is the real thing (Colin Firth, FTW). I know that my Japanese street fashion style is Gothic Lolita (didn't see that coming ... NOT), and have discovered that the colour of my soul is PURPLE (but my aura is GREEN).

So here you are ... straight from Facebook ... the 15 books quiz. In no particular order, 15 books from my childhood / Teen Angst years that have directed my thoughts, informed my imagination, or simply stuck with me through the years.

I seem to have read a lot of fantasy.

1. Best Loved Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm, illustrated by Anastassija Archipowa.
This huge, gorgeous book has been part of my life for as long as I can remember ... it is practically falling out of the binding. Classic fairy tales are retold in simple language that is easy for a child to read ... the delicate, luminous watercolour illustrations are what make this book so breathtaking. I credit this book with inspiring my lifelong love affair with "pretty ladies." I would not change much about my childhood, but I WOULD like to go back and choose NOT to scribble vengefully all over Cinderella's stepsisters in angry pink marker.

2. Saint George and the Dragon, retold by Margaret Hodges, illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman.
A favourite version based on Spenser's Faery Queene. I still look in the library children's section for books illustrated by TSH -- she has done several Arthurian legends and fairy tales, always with the most beautiful earthy illustrations. I am a firm believer that picture books are not only for young children!

3. The Faery Queene, by Edmund Spenser.
This book is so full of brilliant images and adventures that it doesn't need illustrations -- it just fills your head with curls and colours. When I first read Book I, I missed most of the allegory -- I just fell in love with the knights and monsters and enchantments. Spenser creates a beautiful, dense landscape in which every detail is there for a reason. Most British literature classes offer a sampling of Books I and III, but do yourself a favour and read ALL of it ...

4. The Chronicles of Narnia, by C. S. Lewis
Lewis loved Spenser! And it shows! This fantasy series is deceptively simple. I believe my first encounter with the books was at the age of 7 or 8. I have read them many, many times since then and they only get better. If you have not read these books, READ THEM NOW. Don't worry about trying to decipher the "Christian message." Just let Lewis's world -- which IS built on a beautiful and honest faith -- sink into your imagination.
It has been so much fun as an adult literature student to discover Lewis's literary criticism ... he liked the Middle Ages! Like me!

5. The Blue Sword, by Robin McKinley
A determined heroine, a desert world, beautiful horses and swords ... this young adult fantasy has everything to make a young teen girl happy. Actually, I'm past the swords-and-horses phase, but I STILL love this book for its achingly true realisation of the world and characters -- you are THERE in the middle of the adventure. I have NEVER been able to read this book without reading straight through it. McKinley is a well-known author with lots of good books. She is not a Christian, so read with discernment ... but really an excellent, excellent writer.

6. "A Good Man is Hard to Find," by Flannery O'Connor.
Flannery O'Connor IS a Christian author, and a perplexing one. I read this short story as a young teenager. I'm sure most of you have read this in a high school class, and are familiar with the way it starts out wickedly funny and ends swiftly, brutally ... it made a vivid impression on my mind, but I couldn't figure out what it MEANT. After several years' more exposure to O'Connor's writing, I understand a bit better, and have the greatest respect for this author. I love the way that her Christian worldview infuses and fuels everything she writes, yet in such a startling way.

7. The Tricksters, by Margaret Mahy.
Another YA favourite, by a New Zealand author who has won (deservedly) many awards. This novel -- like many by Mahy -- features a large (as in numerous), vivid, intelligent, unorthodox family at the point of crisis. During a summer holiday, they encounter the ghost (literally) of another troubled family; secrets come to light, buried conflict ignites, but ultimately relationships are strengthened. Some of my Christian friends may hesitate to read this book because of the supernatural element, and some of the situations (tastefully) described within the book, but I would recommend it anyway. Mahy's books are always full of emotional truth--she never simplifies or shies away from things--described in intelligent and luminous prose.

8. The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson
Once my Dad bought Mom a HUGE, thick, paperback edition of all of ED's poems, and over the years, I read through the volume many times. The great thing about this particular edition was that it includes all the mess-ups, failures, and experiments -- it gave me an insight into how a poet works. I had been used to reading Elizabethan poetry, and was intrigued by ED's spare, full lines. And I love Emily's vision of the world; the same kind of spiders live in her brain, I think, as live in mine.

9. Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card
OSC is one of my favourite fantasy/sci-fi writers, and this was the first book of his that I read. A very exciting adventure story -- brilliant child must defend Earth against alien invaders -- but so much more. Card is never afraid to ask the big questions -- about love and faith and the world and humanity as a whole -- at the same time that he creates realistic individuals in close relationships with one another. His more recent books reflect on current developments in society. Card is an ethical writer in a way that few authors are ...

10. King Lear, by William Shakespeare
I think Shakespeare is why I'm an English major. I've always loved to read, and to write, but when I first encountered Shakespeare it was like ... WOW ... I didn't know that the English language could DO that. King Lear was the first play I read -- I think we had watched a Masterpiece Theatre version at home, and it ripped my guts out. I was devastated. So naturally I had to go to the library and get the print version and go through it all again -- and it was even worse. And then I read pretty much the Complete Works. SHAKESPEARE IS AWESOME.
(Despite what some people assume, however, he is NOT the God of British Literature. Take my word for it, Titus Andronicus and the Rape of Lucrece SUCK. No, really. They do.)

11. Charlotte's Web, by E.B. White
I can't believe I only thought of this at #11! Charlotte's Web was the first chapter book I ever read ... I think I was 6. Small enough to still fit into the kitchen cabinet. I was sitting under the sink and then I got to the end and Charlotte DIED and I cried and cried and cried. I would like to believe that Charlotte's web skills (ha!) were some kind of metaphysical, metaphorical introduction to the power of words, inspiring me to my lifelong love of literature and writing, but really I think I was just sad because Charlotte died.

12. Matilda, by Roald Dahl.
Surely everyone has read this book. If not, READ THIS BOOK. It is all about the power of being smart and reading things! Plus it is completely hilarious. Roald Dahl totally remembers what it was like to be a kid in a world of adults. When I was 7, I thought I WAS Matilda. I even tried to move things with my eyeballs (it didn't work).

13. All those Poets in my British Lit Book
I know this is cheating, but they won't fit otherwise! I love the metaphysical poets -- George Herbert ("Love Bid Me Welcome" -- YES), John Donne (Holy Sonnets -- YES) and the modern ones (T.S. Eliot's complex buildup of images and allusions remains an inspiration to me) ... there are too many to list! If you aren't a big fan of poetry, buy an anthology that includes a lot of newer writers. Browse through ... if you take your time, I promise you will find something that just takes your breath away with its beauty or honesty or brilliance. WORDS ARE AWESOME, PEOPLE.

14. The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkein
... yeah, I couldn't in all honesty leave this one off! I actually started in the middle of The Two Towers (found a lonely volume at my Grammy's house). I was probably 11, and at the age to adore Tolkein's sad, beautiful Elves. This series really captured my imagination ... Tolkein's world is so HUGE and EPIC and SHINING. It really touched some deep longing for adventure, to be a part of a Grand Story--and, perhaps, some sense of a lost world ... Epic is not so much my favourite genre anymore -- I like my world in smaller pieces -- and reading critically, Tolkein's writing is technically not all that great. But his vision can still wake up that huge deep longing ...

15. A Brief History of Time, by Stephen Hawking
I figured I had better include at least ONE non-fantasy book, so here it is. I have never been a huge science/math person, but when I was thirteen or fourteen I checked this slim little book out from the library because I liked the pictures. AND IT MADE MY BRAIN EXPLODE ... in a good way. Hawking is not at all a Christian, but he really has a gift for explaining ENORMOUS ideas comprehensibly. I had such an expanded sense of God's sovereignty and power and general AWESOMENESS after reading this book. I was madly in love with SH for two years, and briefly considered a career as a theoretical physicist (I changed my mind after high school physics). I still don't understand string theory, though!

Well, there you are, folks. You may wonder at the number of FANTASTIC books I've left off -- the truth is, I read about 15 books a week for much of my childhood, so this list is sadly, sadly, sadly incomplete! There are SO MANY good books in the world, people. Don't let your kids veg out in front of other people's creations -- send 'em to the library and let 'em create their own worlds together with a good book. IT'S GOOD FOR THE BRAIN. At least I always made good grades!

That's all I've got for now -- some of the aforementioned "fluffy books" (an Agatha Christie and InuYasha) from the Altoona Public Library are calling my name :) Don't worry, I have plenty of "smart books" on my reading list as well!

Love,
Emily Pritzel
(or, if you prefer my Native American Indian Name, "Rain Pebble")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Should this cake happen?