Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Visit From My Girls

Updates did not happen this weekend because I was enjoying a super-special visit from my girls! Mom and my sisters graciously made the 11-hour drive from Tennessee to Des Moines in order to spend a long weekend with me.

Well, almost. They broke down in Bloomfield, IA, and my Super Amazing Husband brought them the rest of the way. On the way there he got a frantic phone call from his Fluffy Witted Wife, who had locked her keys in her car at work. There was much drama, but eventually we were all safely home and enjoying my first attempt at split pea soup (with, of course, lots of hot sauce for yours truly).

We had such a wonderful weekend. I am so grateful for the opportunity to see them! We talked, we laughed, we cried (or at least I did -- everyone needs a hobby, right?), we consumed WAY too much sugar. I think half of the Christmas goodies that I sent with them "to share with the boys" probably disappeared before they made it home!

Seriously, though, my sisters are a delight and such good company. And my mom was full of godly encouragement to love my husband and to believe the Bible.

Dennis spent most of the weekend studying (or maybe he was afraid of all the silliness fizzing around) but he did manage to get in on some of the fun! He read us some of the awesome book that he is in the middle of (more on that later).

For those of you who didn't get to meet "my girls," Martha took lots of pictures this weekend. So my blog is going high-tech with pictures!


My sister Helen, who is 9, is learning the piano. She played some nice things on Dennis's little keyboard, but mostly she had fun with the obnoxious sound effects!

 

Me and Helen. Thanks for the shirts, Jenny and Kevin!



I am SO EXCITING that I took my family to the LIBRARY on our visit. WOW! This is Martha (15) enjoying a book on horse biology that she found.




This picture is from my wedding, but I wanted everyone to see how pretty my sisters are




and also my mom :)

4 comments:

  1. I just want to affirm that Emily does indeed have a Super Amazing Husband - he was very gracious to make an unplanned 2+-hour drive to THE ABSOLUTE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE to rescue us from our transportation dilemma. And I really enjoyed getting the extra time to visit w/ Dennis on the last leg of our drive up to Des Moines.

    BTW, if you break down in south-central Iowa and need help, look up Boone's Auto Body and Repair Shop in Bloomfield, just a block off the town square. Thank you, Dick Boone, for making it possible for us to return home to Tennessee!

    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually...I'm ten;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had a GREAT time with ya'll!!!

    martha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how we apparently have the same hobby: crying. :P But mine is only when I see/hear of something really, really sweet happening, or road kill.

    ReplyDelete

Should this cake happen?