Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Help me, please!

I am a housekeeping disaster, people.

Two months ago, my bathroom was spotless, my floors got mopped at least once a week, the blinds were dusted. Even the eyes on the range top were shiny and clean!

One full-time job later, I am about at my limit. I didn't even mop the floors this weekend, and I haven't dusted our bedroom in ... well, I'll just say that it's been a lot longer than a week. Aside from being bothered by the mess, perfectionist that I am, I am really bothered by what I perceive as laziness and incompetence. I don't have a LOT of time to keep things clean -- work, plus working out on the way back, keeps me busy until 6:30 most nights, and once I get dinner served and dishes cleaned up it is usually after 8pm -- but I could probably do a lot better if I would just devote a good 30 minutes each evening cleaning SOMETHING.

But I don't want to be a grownup! After dinner and cleanup, I just have a couple hours to unwind, and I want to spend them on FUN by golly!

Perfectionism and laziness are a DANGEROUS combination, people. If you have any advice, I would LOVE to hear it!

6 comments:

  1. Seriously? LET IT GO! Get a good beverage and snuggle up with Dennis and have a fun night!!! You can either let it go NOW, or when you have kids and you have no other choice. ;-)

    If you don't believe me, ask Dennis. "Would you rather I hang out with you, or would you rather have a shiny toilet?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you heard of the ten-minute quick clean? You just tell yourself you're going to do s quick sweep of one room for ten minutes usually you get caught up and go a little longer. Either way, it would surprise you how much you get done in ten minutes. When the house seems little out of order I ask Brian to do a ten minute quick clean with me. Works wonders :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listen to Jenny....words of a wise woman! - Camille

    ReplyDelete
  4. i ditto jenny and your mom! jenny is right...it MAY be possible to stay on top of things before you have kids, but it is next to impossible to stay on top of it once you have them!! (at least for me.) i will openly admit that my kitchen floor has not been mopped in WEEKS! and, i have children who crawl on the floor, spill food on the floor, AND eat off the floor...and i'm still not getting around to mopping. dusting has long become a thing of the past. i'm not saying you shouldn't make attempts to keep things tidy (i like ashley's suggestion...it does work!), but don't kick yourself too hard for not having a sparkling clean apartment. it's just not real life. and, God doesn't love you for how tidy you are. i love reading your blog, emily! thanks for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to adulthood. I know you don't want to join the rest of us lazy slobs who don't clean their houses, but we will welcome you with open arms. Try the FlyLady. www.flylady.net. Emails get to be pretty annoying, but she does have some good tips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the encouragement! I will try the 10m cleaning ... and try not to overdo it!

    The real problem is a heart problem ... I know DH will be happiest to have a happy wife, so how do I handle the part of me that can't be happy unless I feel like I am superperfectwoman?

    I have, however, mopped my floors. DH was at school late last night studying so I did chores and watched old eps of As Time Goes By. Is that sad or what??

    ReplyDelete

Should this cake happen?