Friday, January 8, 2010

How Do You Save $ on your Grocery Bill?

So in lieu of making a great big list of New Year's Resolutions that will only bite the dust in February, I'm considering making 2010 the Year of Challenges. Every month, I pick one thing to try, consistently, for a month to see if I can incorporate some changes. If it doesn't happen, OK, but I will at least commit to one solid month of trying hard.

I'm thinking next month will be Frugal February. I am still looking for another job (applied for a secretarial position at DMU -- please keep that in your prayers for the next week or so!), and while we are OK financially, this seems like a good time to exercise my creativity where our grocery bill is concerned. I am still learning how to be a good helpmeet in this area -- I'm used to buying and cooking for a hungry farm family of 10 - 12, so it's an adjustment to plan for just two!

I have already made a few changes. Specifically, I have agreed with myself that I will buy ONE 12-pack of what I am learning to call "pop" a month, and ONLY one. As opposed to my usual 1 1/2 a week. The consumption of that much carbonation, artificial sweetener, and chemical dye can't have been good for my system, AND I'm saving about $5 a week that way. Although I do miss my fizz!


 DH and I spend quite a bit on good cheese, fresh fruit and vegetables, and dairy products -- we don't buy a lot of convenience items, but we do like good food. I am thinking that incorporating even more meals based on soup, lentils, beans, and beans + a little bit of meat may be a good idea. Actually, I am going to challenge myself and see if I can go all February without buying any meat except for sandwich meat for Dennis -- I bought 6 lb of pork roast on sale at Hy-Vee, have a whole chicken, a few chicken breasts, and a LOT of deer meat in the freezer (thanks to my brothers, the Mighty Hunters!) -- so we should be in good shape for that challenge.

This is where I would LOVE your input. How do you save on your grocery bill? I would love tips, links to websites, recipe suggestions ... anything and everything! And not just food -- by "grocery" I also mean things like toilet paper, aluminum foil, and cleaning supplies. I am not afraid to buy in bulk, cook new things, or try anything else you can throw at me, so fire away!

9 comments:

  1. Conner the wonderposterJanuary 8, 2010 at 4:33 PM

    My best advice is to create a weekly menu plan that incorporates the same basic ingredients (plus staples) in different combinations, paired with creative leftovering. IE, make a roast chicken on Monday, a casserole on Tuesday, Chicken n'Rice on Wednesday, and Chicken Noodle Soup con carcasse on Thursday. This makes the best use of your fresh vegetable purchases too, because if there's only two of you likely things will go bad before they run out if you buy a different set of vegetables for every day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make breakfasts and lunches go far by using stout grains like steel cut oats that I buy by the pound and same with quinoa for lunches. I can throw some seasoned quinoa in a tupperware container of spinach for Brian's lunch rather than a turkey sandwich (which would require cheese and condiments).

    I haven't done the math, but I think we're saving :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice so far. I definitely need to tighten back up with using the same vegetables all week long. I have to admit, I tend to splurge when it comes to veggies!

    Ashley, when D & I visited his parents over Christmas vacation, we made a trip to a Whole Foods in Franklin. I was a little shocked by some of the prices but everything looked SOOO GOOD. I am going to do a little research and see if I can find one near here ... then maybe I'll be able to save on bulk nuts, grains etc like you suggested in your blog earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look for ... "ethnic" grocery stores. Not sure the PC wording on that one. Indian stores are a great source for cheap bulk spices. The Farmer's market in Nashville has one such store, and it is a great place to stock up on bags of whole spices (fennel, cinnamon, cardamum, etc). Plus they will have humongous bags of rice & dried beans fairly cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was originally not going to comment on this, because this is not something i do a good job with... BUT, i did just remember this: when we were in seminary in a large city with more than just a walmart, i received e-mails every week from our local grocery store (harris teeter) with their specials for the week. while it was a relatively expensive store for regularly priced items, they had great prices every week on their specials! so, i just planned my menus according to what was on sale for the week. i remember getting some especially good deals on some more expensive meats. i hope the new job works out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, great idea, Aunt Tracy. Maybe my "goal" for January will be to Make Excursions looking for more places to shop.

    Although I agree with Meredith, the often-pricey supermarkets DO have good deals week to week. I love Hy-Vee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We go to Sam's or Costco to buy things like toilet paper and paper towels. We have only purchased these things twice in 2 1/2 years!

    ReplyDelete
  8. O_O that's a lot of toilet paper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too funny! I decided to look at the postings marked "frugality." I cannot buy a year's worth of toilet paper at once. Considering that I buy it "in bulk quantities" on a weekly basis and do not have a storage space the size of the Biltmore House, I'll stick with weekly shopping for toilet paper! Just wait until Niki starts potty training Lexi. Those first few rolls spin off pretty quickly for newcomers to the wonders of soft, tuggable paper rolls.

    Here are my really basic savings suggestions. Totally quit pop. Your teeth will thank you. Your future dental bills will be lower. Drink lots of tap water. Even if you spend the money to get a filter, you will save oodles over the cost of bottled waters and sodas. Eat vegetarian often. Enjoy egg based meals for an inexpensive, tasty protein. Quiche can be baked, sliced, and frozen in reheatable single serving portions. Oatmeal versus boxed cereals - oatmeal wins by a landslide. Skip those convenient little paper packages of single servings. Too much salt, sugar, and price. Go for those lovely paper drums/top hats/you-know-those-craft-lovers oatmeal containers. Watch store adds for your favorite fruits and veggies to go on sale. Grapes, banana, and pineapple prices really swing up and down. Even asparagus yo-yos.

    ReplyDelete

Should this cake happen?