Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Lot About Austen

A friend invited me over yesterday to watch Sense and Sensibility (the BBC verison, not the Ang Lee). I'll admit it--I love Jane Austen. I've read her novels and watched the film adaptations multiple times, and they never get old! 

My husband, on the other hand, is not a huge fan. Like my brothers--OK, like most males--sees Jane Austen as something to be endured for the sake of "the girls." I remember Movie Night bartering growing up. A war movie was definitely cause for a "girl movie" like Sense and Sensibility the next weekend, but it took a LOT of "boy movies" to equal the six-tape-long Pride and Prejudice!

Although a few men do appreciate Austen's characterization and wit for its own sake (Dad, you are a rare jewel!), I can understand why her novels and the film adaptations appeal mostly to women. Her interest is in the experiences and perspectives of women of her own class, and the expectations and limitations placed on them by society. She writes of domestic concerns, primarily love and marriage.

So, in a way, any Jane Austen is a sort of "chick lit" or "chick flick." One thing that sets her far above the mass of romantic movies and novels aimed at women, though, is the kind of relationship she portrays as desirable. After growing up with Jane Austen, I find it difficult to believe in or care about romances that follow what I'll call the "Disney Formula" -- where True Love is an undeniable, static, often instantaneous Feeling. You know: instant attraction, plot complications, realization that you are Soul Mates, cue violins, Happily Ever After, The End. The focus is on the attraction, that undescribable connection between the principal characters.

In Austen's novels, however, the relationships that follow the Disney pattern usually prove unreliable. The perfect example is Sense and Sensibility's Marianne and Willoughby, who, after only a few days together, feel that they are "one soul in two bodies." Both characters "follow their hearts" instead of being guided by convention or practicality--yet their relationship turns out to be a false one. Instead, the relationship that is validated at the end of the story (by marriage, of course!) pairs Marianne with the more reserved and conventional Colonel Brandon. Although Marianne at first disregards Brandon as old and boring, she learns to feel respect and gratitude for him, and finally to appreciate that his passionate, devoted personality is married to a commitment to virtue and wisdom. By the time she accepts Brandon's offer of marriage, Marianne is deeply in love with him.

I love this about Jane Austen! Her romantic heroes, the ones who "get the girls," are as different as their partners. They may be witty and charming or proud and reserved; older, younger, poorer, richer. But without exception, they are admirable. Austen's heroines are all matched up with men with whom they are deeply, sincerely, and passionately in love. Yet their love is grounded on more than whoosh-and-gush, violin-drenched Feelings. Mr. Darcy, Edward Ferrars, Colonel Brandon, Edmund Bertram, Mr. Knightley--all of them are men whom Austen's heroines can respect and trust.
I think that's a much more realistic picture of love than the Disney model--maybe even a more Biblical picture? To return to Sense and Sensibility--Austen never portrays feelings as bad. Marianne remains Marianne, of deep "sensibility" and strong passions. Yet she finds true happiness not with Willoughby, her romantic other half, but with Brandon, who deserves her true affection and whom she can trust to protect and cherish her "sensible" love for him.

OK, this post has turned into a monster! I've read a couple of frustrating "chick lit" novels over the past week, and watching S and S with Jody set me off, I guess. What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. You a hearty "amen" from me on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree! Sense and Sensibility is the one Austen book I've never been able to finish, but I know what you mean about the characters she creates. I love that the couples she writes can - and do - respect each other. They treat each other as equals, something you don't see a lot even in modern romances. And they complement each other. Overall, we could do worse than reading Austen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you can appreciate Austen, I never could. I tried, but just got bogged down with it. I'd probably have to cast my vote with the boys for movie night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be curious to hear your impression of Wit Stillman's film _Metropolitan_. He employs the theme of life on the brink of economic uncertainty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aunt Tracy, luckily for Dennis I usually am a fan of "boy" movies as long as they aren't TOO violent :) I usually don't have much patience for fluffy romantic comedies -- I DO like movies that are slower paced and have clever dialogue, character-driven plot etc. Movies you have to think about!

    @ Pastor Larson -- I have never heard of the film you mention. (There are a LOT of movies I have never seen!) I'll have to look it up ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you see any of the three part "Emma" that was on IPTV the last 3 Sunday nights? I had not seen any advertising about it and missed the first one b/c of Bible Study. I didn't even realize it was in 3 parts until I saw it in the paper (too late). So I only watched the last 20 min which began at my favorite scene where Mr. Knightly finally reveals his feelings to Emma. I thought he was totally unemotional! And I think I prefer the other "Emma" that I taped last year.

    ReplyDelete

Should this cake happen?