Monday, February 15, 2010

Church Cookbook, Part III

I love potlucks. Mostly because I like sitting around and visiting. I seem to have gifted my new family with the Kendall tendency to being the last ones out the door at any church function!

It's interesting the kind of food people bring to potlucks. For a lot of church members, potluck is a place for special dishes. Not the sliced sirloin with mushroom cream sauce, or the fancy genoise with raspberry-chocolate ganache filling -- but the kind of dishes that are fairly simple to prepare, will survive a morning in Tupperware or the crock pot -- and that taste so delicious that, at the end of the meal, the cook hardly has to clean out the casserole dish. People bring to potlucks the kind of food they like to eat.

Where I come from (the South, y'all!), that means gooey, for the desserts and the meal. The potluck table would always have two or three hashbrown casseroles (frozen potatoes -- cream soup -- Cheddar cheese -- cracker topping), at least that many pots of macaroni and cheese (every church lady had her own recipe!), chicken and dressing casserole, chicken and noodle casserole, vegetable casserole -- anything that you could slap in a casserole dish with cream soup, cheese, and cracker crumb topping, it was pretty much guaranteed to be there. There might be a vegetable casserole -- a dish of corn -- maybe some green beans or blackeye peas, or a salad.

Here in Des Moines -- not so much. I've only been to potlucks at our new church, Redeemer PCA, so I don't know if our church is typical of the region. But at the monthly potluck dinner, DH and I are likely to find curry (!), pasta salad, green salad, meatballs, roasted carrots. Maybe one dish of macaroni and cheese or spaghetti casserole. If anyone wants to speculate on why, let me know!

With that monster lead-in, how about another Southern Church Cookbook special? This is actually (gasp) a SALAD.

Of sorts.


PEA SALAD

1 can English peas, drained
2 boiled eggs, chopped
1/2 small onion, chopped
3-4 dill pickles, chopped
4 oz Velveeta, cubed
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream
Combine all ingredients. Chill and serve.


This might not be so bad if you actually LIKE mayonnaise and American cheese (I don't!).


5 comments:

  1. I am a firm believer that any potluck dish can be topped with crushed Ritz crackers and melted butter and turn out just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Tracy -- you forgot the cream soup that goes inside!

    Actually, I am sincere in my dislike of most casseroles, but I really like the cracker/butter topping (who wouldnt??). Sometimes back home I was tempted to get a serving of Miscellaneous Casserole just to eat the crackers off the top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so with you on the mayonnaise and american cheese!!!:)
    - martha

    ReplyDelete
  4. MARTHA! I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!

    (who's the teenager?)

    ReplyDelete

Should this cake happen?