Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Jesus is the Real Chocolate

Happy birthday to my Dear Husband!

Growing up, there was always an index card taped to the door of a kitchen cabinet -- the one my Mom looked at every day as she prepared meals, wiped down the counter, picked up (AGAIN) all the toys and papers and miscellaneous junk that we kids somehow never got around to putting away. Over time the ink on the index card faded until you could hardly read it, but I had seen the card so often that I remembered the words without even looking at them:

"But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ.

"More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ." (Philippians 3:7-8, NASB)

I don't presume to say anything about what these verses meant to my Mom. That is her story. But to me -- let's just say that I am a perfectionist, and a legalist. For a long time I thought that being righteous meant giving things up for God. You saved me -- I owe you -- I don't really have anything I can give you -- but I can suffer loss for you. Everything that I want or enjoy, that I give up, is paying you back a little bit. Somehow, everything that is taken from me adds to my virtue. If you asked me, I could tell you that this mindset was not the truth -- but in my heart, it's what I believed.

That is NOT what God says. That is NOT the Gospel. The Gospel is not about suffering loss, or giving things up -- it is about gaining Christ. And what pleases God is not that I take satisfaction in my own sacrifice or loss, but that I be overwhelmed with delight in the amazing thing I have been given -- that I rejoice with "a joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory."

From the prophecies of Isaiah (read 35, 51, 55), to the angels' message to the shepherds in Bethlehem, to the teachings of Jesus Himself, the message of all the ages of God's interactions with His people is that Christ Himself is our joy. He brings us back into a relationship with the Father. He loves us with an unshakeable love. Christ is how we can adore God as our hearts long to.

When you find a treasure so beautiful it gives you that kind of joy, it isn't loss to sell everything you had before

Imagine you spent your whole life craving chocolate. You buy Hersheys kisses and M&Ms. You have one of those instant pudding cup-things after every meal. You drink hot chocolate by the bucketful. You even clip pictures of death-by-chocolate cakes from magazines and tape them to your wall. Somehow, it's never quite good enough.

Then someone gives you a bar of this stuff:
and you realize why none of your magazine pictures or Hershey's milk chocolate ever satisfied you.

6 comments:

  1. One of my favorite verses is in Genesis 15 where God tells Abraham, "I am your shield, your very great reward." (gotta be NIV for this one!) God Himself is our reward, and that in Christ! Amazing how, over time, Christ just grows lovelier and lovelier. Truly, every other charm pales in the radiance of His beauty. You're right - Jesus is the REAL chocolate, the good stuff. Nothing else compares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep -- that is one that is engraved in my brain as well (thanks to your index cards!).

    Whenever I read the passages in Paul's letters where he urges his readers to keep struggling -- run the race -- keep your eyes on the Prize I think of this verse. The "prize" at the end of the race isn't Being A Good Person -- it's Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does this mean I get to read you a Bible verse on Valentine's day, and not give you the usual bar of Lindt 90% Cacao? =D
    -DH

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... i thought we weren't "doing" Valentines Day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Give her the chocolate AND read her a verse (or two) AND give her muchos smoochos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. somehow I don't think "muchos smoochos" is real Spanish...
    -DH

    ReplyDelete

Should this cake happen?