Saturday, February 5, 2011

OMG, Leviticus

The joke in my family is that every plan to read the whole Bible always falls apart right around the middle of Leviticus. One long book of complicated descriptions of sacrifices, rituals, cultural rules that don't really seem applicable. I know "ALL of Scripture is God-breathed, useful ... " etc, but that doesn't make Leviticus any less boring.

Guess what book i've reached in my "read through the Bible in a year" plan?

I spent this morning reading my Bible's introduction to Leviticus. Possibly this was just a strategy on my part to put off actually reading Leviticus.

But guess what? The Reformation Study Bible actually has me looking forward to reading the book. Well, convinced that it's worthwhile, anyway, and committed to getting through it all again. On the off chance that some of y'all don't have the RSB (the translation is accurate and flowing, the contextual and theological notes are awesome, it weighs 422 pounds, you should get one), here's why i actually want to read Leviticus.

All the cultural prescriptions in Leviticus reflect the concepts and values that are foundational to God's people, Israel. These same ideas inform New Testament writers - especially their understanding of sin, sacrifice, and atonement. Leviticus teaches us to appreciate Christ's work of atonement.

As i read, i'm going to be looking for these main themes:

God's presence among His people. This is what Christ secured for us perfectly - the amazing gift of being able to enjoy God's presence.

Holiness. We are called to bear God's image in everything we do. "You shall be holy, as I am holy" (Lev. 11:45)

Atonement through Sacrifice. If God is holy, and we are not, we're in trouble. Yet God sacrificed his Son to satisfy his holiness and secure us into a relationship with himself. Leviticus should be a great place to see God's character, and his relationship with unholy people, depicted.

I'll let you know how it goes!

2 comments:

  1. You are not the only one working her way through Leviticus as you read the Bible in a year! Thanks for your insight! As I've been reading what seem to be repetitious rules, I have gained more appreciation of what Christ did for us on the cross. We need to be reminded each day how available God is to us because of Christ's sacrifice. Happy reading! (Well, it's not all happy, but you know what I mean.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've been reading the delicious details for offering sacrifices for the past few mornings - and you're right, it really does make me more conscious of Christ's sacrifice. And grateful at how much more imminent His mediation is. It's easy for me to take for granted what a HUGE blessing it is to be in a right relationship with God all the time, because of His sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete

Should this cake happen?