Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Throwing Inkwells

This week I had the great privilege to pray with a friend who shared a prayer from Beth Moore's book, So Long Insecurity. I haven't read the book, but that prayer was intense. We were there before God's throne, confessing our deepest fears -- the secret failures to believe His promises to us.

Where does insecurity come from? Why do I protect myself from relationships? Why am I afraid to be known? Why am I so afraid of conflict?

Satan sitting on my shoulder with a pocket mirror, showing me my own face. I know who I am. I don't deserve to be loved. I don't deserve to be happy.

Thomas Merton writes, "The beginning of the fight against hatred, the basic Christian answer to hatred, is not the commandment to love, but what must necessarily come before in order to make the commandment bearable and comprehensible. It is a prior commandment, to believe. The root of Christian love is not the will to love, but the faith that one is loved. The faith that one is loved by God. That faith that one is loved by God although unworthy--or rather, irrespective of one's worth!

"In the true Christian vision of God's love, the idea of worthiness loses its significance. Revelation of the mercy of God makes the whole problem of worthiness something almost laughable: the discovery that worthiness is of no special consequence (since no one could ever, by himself, be worthy to be loved with such a love) is a true liberation of spirit. And until this discovery is made, until this liberation has been brought about by the divine mercy, man is imprisoned in hate.

"Humanistic love will not serve. As long as we believe that we hate no one, that we are merciful, that we are kind by our very nature, we deceive ourselves; our hatred is merely smoldering under the gray ashes of complacent optimism. We are apparently at peace with everyone because we think we are worthy. That is to say we have lost the capacity to face the question of unworthiness at all. But when we are delivered by the mercy of God the question no longer has a meaning." (New Seeds of Contemplation)

Or to put it more simply, "We love because He first loved us."

Who do I listen to? The devil showing me what i deserve? Or the God who tells me i am His precious possession forever?

If God has called me beloved, who am i to disbelieve Him?

Lord, grant me the trust in Your love to go forth boldly. To live boldly, to love freely, to serve without fear. To live every moment delighting in the relationship You have brought me into.

1 comment:

  1. I tried to vote on your poll, but it logged me as having checked all answers... ah well...

    but to the point: Crazily, in core group tonight before I read this blog, it was group prayer time and we were covering the model prayer. We were at "give us this day our daily bread," and (pardon the run-on) I was suddenly praying out loud with all these great people, going before the throne boldly; I was taking suit with God for his promises; I was saying, Jesus, you promised to give us victory over our fear: act! take your power and free me and the people I love from fear and panic in the face of all our dread!! You're God, and you promised, and I claim that promise! It's for me! it's mine! I want it! So make good on your word!!!

    I felt like David or Job, like I was tired of telling myself that God would give me and mine what we needed and wanted without us having to ask, and I was asking, but also in a way demanding. I think it's okay to demand Godliness of God?

    It's really really late right now... Ima go to bed


    RK

    ReplyDelete

Should this cake happen?