Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Another Apple Cake

I do not post on days that i am feeling sorry for myself. I take care of that well enough without needing to invite the rest of the world to help me out.

So, here is a recipe for you! A really sweet coworker brought this apple cake to work Tuesday and it is SUPER YUMMY. It was a great day for it too because I had another Wardrobe FAIL and didn't have time for breakfast. I am going to make this for the Reformation Party Saturday (along with my awesome costume!!). Mrs. C--- served the cake with caramel sauce but I am just going to get some cool whip, because the cake itself is moist and rich and doesn't need a lot of pointless sweet. She also used Splenda brown sugar mix in the cake, which I would totally do if I had the money, but I don't.

I have cut the recipe in half for an 8-inch pan. Double it to make a 9 by 13 pan. 

APPLE CAKE

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8" baking dish.

Whisk together:
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon

In a separate bowl, beat together: 
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups fine-chopped apple
1/4 cup cooking oil

Combine two mixtures and beat just till well mixed. Pour into greased dish.
Sprinkle batter with 1/4 cup packed brown sugar mixed with 1 1/2 teaspoons Tones Cinnamon Maple Sprinkle (Mrs C--- got the recipe when she worked at the Tones Spice Factory, which is not far from where I live!). Bake for 1 hour.

Optional: Sprinkle with halved or chopped walnuts before baking.
Serve with whipped cream or Cool Whip, or Caramel Sauce if you have to.

This is one recipe that probably would NOT be improved with the addition of half a cup of hot sauce.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't find the Cinnamon Maple Sprinkle, so I just sprinkled the cake with sugar, cinnamon, and a little allspice and cloves to make things more interesting. YUMMY. It got eaten all up at the potluck :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're making my diet hard to stick to!

    ReplyDelete

Should this cake happen?