Monday, April 14, 2014

Accountability blog -- DAY ONE

Assuming that no-one is reading this anymore, TIME TO TURN THIS THING INTO A USEFUL TOOL. For me, that is.

I have a very small sphere of responsibility, monetarily-wise. Specifically, the grocery budget. I am not paid for the work i do, so this is the part of our income that i have direct control over.

$100/week is MORE than generous for two adults and one toddler.

I don't like budgets. I don't like planning. I don't like making sacrifices, or not indulging desires that i feel are reasonable -- "Sure, it's over budget! But it's healthy!" or "I don't need it this week, but it's on sale!," or (full disclosure here) "I can reward myself with an overpriced diet soda that has a worse-than-zero nutritional value, because i'm not flushing money down the toilet -- literally -- in the service of bulimia."

I don't really try to stick to our budget. I plan meals based on inexpensive staples, seasonal produce, and weekly specials as a basis. We very rarely eat processed, packaged, or luxury foods, and eat moderate amounts of inexpensive cuts of meat. Often this results in extra expenditure, but iam fairly satisfied with our shopping/eating profile We eat satisfying amounts of healthy, delicious foods -- lots of fruit and vegetables, whole grains, moderate amounts of meat, plenty of healthy fats, very little packaged/processed food. We spend a lot of money on food, but i feel like we get excellent value for that money.

Last week, however, was a disaster. Poor planning, poor judgment ... poor pocketbook.

I went to the grocery store 5 times in 7 days.

I'm not even going to TELL you how much money i spent.

I ended the week determined to do a better job going forward. My husband works patiently and cheerfully to provide for us. He budgets a more-than-generous amount for groceries -- and doesn't complain or censure when i go over. I don't want to make myself a slave to a number, but i DO want to invest the time and effort to respect the hard work that goes into the money that pays for our groceries. I realize how VERY blessed we are to be able to spend what we do on groceries. I want to be a more deliberate, grateful, and responsible steward of the resources i have been given to work with.


So -- i'm repurposing this old blog to help me do just that.


What i plan, grocery-wise.
What we spend.
What we actually eat.
 Any tips, links, or resources that help me in that process.

Dear Lord, THANK YOU for the physical blessings You give my family. We are able, not only to eat enough to live and work -- but to choose foods that will help us feel better and stay healthier -- to create flavors that not only satisfy, but delight us.

Thank you for the hard work, the forbearance, and the study that goes into paying for our food. Please give me an attitude of respect and gratitude. Help me to rejoice in the many, many wonderful options i have, rather than envying the options that i do not have. Help me to exercise discernment and self-control. Please give me perseverance, determination, and encouragement.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Should this cake happen?